Tuesday, November 11, 2008

From the mouth of babes....

... I love listening to my kids have conversations - although I usually have to be some distance away so they don't here me giggling so much.  

.... Today's conversation was over breakfast when I was gathering things up in the other room to dash out the door to violin, and then stopped to listen... and laugh...and learn...

Seth, "Ben, you are my best friend."
Sarah, "Hey, Seth, you said that I was your best friend!" 

Seth, "Well, yea, I did say that, but you aren't anymore."  **I almost intervened from my post in the other room to give the 'motherly' advice that we could all be best friends in our family, but heard this...

Sarah, "So, you are breaking up with me??"

Seth, "Well, yes... but we can still be friends."  ** what have they been listening to at school??!**

Seth continues, "Well, Sarah, sometimes when I do something mean to you, you don't be nice back."

Sarah, "What??"  **which is what I was asking in my mind, What??!

Seth, "Like when I do something mean, you don't say, 'may please can you stop?' ... you just be mean back."

 ... okay, so I had to laugh right out loud at this 6 year old logic... and the fact that his being mean in the first place wasn't even an issue to him... it was her being mean back... 

... and then I had a little 'ah hah' moment... how many times in life do we not consider our own issues and instead insist on pointing out how someone else is really wrong... for reacting to our original wrong... (kind of a little beam/mote type of a situation...)

... and I thought they were sent here to be taught by me - instead they are teaching me :)

4 comments:

4kidsandcrazy said...

Classic! How wise of you to let them work that out for themselves. Nice lesson thanks for sharing with us.

Robin Conner said...

Oh they are so cute! They are growing way too fast too! :) That story was pretty hilarious! The way kids think is pretty amazing!

Jogusboy said...

Too funny!

I LUUUUVVVVV their logic!

Shan said...

I loved how you captured their dialog and added your thoughts. A great message, too. That was fun. You are quite a witty writer, Jen!!