Wednesday, October 15, 2008

My Tom Sawyer Moment...


... it was beautiful, really, to see it all unfold...  I finally decided that this was the day to pull all of those crazy weeds that grow in between the blocks of cement all along our driveway and sidewalk (the ones that look ugly all summer and then drive you crazy when you are trying to shovel snow from the cement all winter).  The problem - we had a bunch - EVERYWHERE.


When I pulled up the first few, I noticed worms coming out with them.  The kids have been in a 'creepy crawly craze' lately, reading books, having daddy show them crazy pictures in his textbooks (yep, that was actually their favorite FHE lesson - looking through pictures of crazy bugs that cause crazy skin diseases... which had what to do with the gospel, exactly?  Well, very little, but hey, we were a family, we were at home, and it was evening - it fit into every aspect of F H E!... but I digress...).  
     When the kids came by to help a bit, they noticed that worms lived in the dirt UNDER the weeds,  ("Hey guess what, if you up pull up these weeds, you can find worms!!").  Who knew it would be such a hit - even the neighbor kids got in on it - they were running everywhere, getting screw drivers to dig through the cracks and 'get the weeds out of the way' so they could find their worms.
   I actually started laughing right out loud seeing it all unfold, as the kids told their friends, "Hey, if you pull these up, you can find lots of worms!"   "Hey, look, there are more over there... lets go get 'em!" (it was when they got to digging in the grass that I had to reign them in...)


   It was a win for everyone... 
The kids got their worms 
(sarah even tried to give hers a 'bath'... before she put them in their home... of dirt and mud...)...


I got my weeds pulled...



And daddy got some clear sidewalks and driveway to shovel all winter.  (Okay, who am I kidding - I know I'm going to be the one out there most of the time... but those shovelings are going to be SMOOTH!!).

... Tom Sawyer, meet your match!!  (wanna whitewash a fence, anyone?!)

3 comments:

Robin Conner said...

You guys are hilarious! That is so funny that you woke Jerry up that early to light off a firework and then go to breakfast! How cute is that? I bet you guys were so tired, but that is so worth it! :) And the weed pulling was priceless! Very creative way to get a nasty chore done! Kudos to you! :)

4kidsandcrazy said...

That is AWESOME!! I wish it would work with my kids they all hate bugs and worms. I don't know how I raised such wimps. (Except I hate them too! :)

Jogusboy said...

I hate pulling weeds. Hope we can get Anna and Sambo to pull some weeds for a "reward"!!