Monday, June 30, 2008

Should we Stay or Should We Go ( insert big music beats here...)

    So here is the question of the hour, day, week, and month.  Do we stay in Minnesota, or do we head back to Utah?  
   Quite honestly, I don't know what to do.
    It would be so much easier if it were a choice between good and bad, but these choices between two goods gets me into a bind every time.  
   One the one hand, we have North Ogden - a great practice with amazing benefits for Jerry to still keep his fingers dipped in academics, etc, etc, with the HUGE plus of being close to family (believe me, I can't emphasize the HUGE plus that this aspect would be!!).  On the other hand, we have the Mayo, which has offered him a MUCH coveted surgery spot, and, well, it's Mayo, with all of the bells and whistles that go along with it. 
    So, here I am, trying to keep myself busy until the DREADED BOARDS are over, and trying to keep this looming decision out of my mind until Jerry can finally focus on something other than passing the boards and we can have real conversations about it, with all of the facts put down on paper, etc. 
     Our goal is to have a decision made by the end of August so that we can work on making whatever plans we need to make throughout the next year.  (It is so crazy that we are at this point - something we have worked to achieve for 8 years, and we are finally on the last leg of it, and having to really start thinking about 'grown-up' decisions, like school districts for kids, and a real-live career for Jerry.  Crazy!!).  So, getting through this next phase of summer is driving me crazy with all of the what-ifs.  I swing like a pendulum back and forth between where I think would be the best place for us.  I feel like I am running in place, wanting so much to start making real plans, but scared to make real plans.  Weird, I know.  But true.  Just thought I would let you know what's been running through (and around, and in and out) of my mind lately.

3 comments:

Summer said...

YOU SHOULD STAY! Just kidding - of course we would love it if you did : ) I seriously feel for you right now though. I HATE that limbo feeling (similar to how I felt when we were waiting for match day - or even just trying to decide how to rank residency programs - I'm sure you remember). And it really is crazy that soon you will be totally DONE. Time to settle down permanently. Real life. Oh yeah, and good money : ) It is very hard to choose between 2 good things but I'm sure you guys will be able to figure out which is the best for your family. Good luck in the meantime...and keep me posted! Also congrats to Jerry on all the awards - very impressive! And so funny that he didn't tell you : )

Scott, Heidi and clan said...

you know where my vote is. hee hee, i can't imagine your decision! so tough. good luck and what a great hard decision. that is how we felt with school when scott got into so many we loved, a decision between good and good. i think that the lord steers no matter what, we just have to stand back and see where he takes us.

Jobows said...

Jen, I can't decide!! I feel your pain. I really wish that you would stay until we move back to Utah! That would be nice! Hehehe! Hows the lone summer so far? We miss you all like crazy!! I will be calling you soon! The gyms here....i don;t know what to think....i miss the Y!