Saturday, March 21, 2009

The Glass Half FULL...

Okay, okay, many of you are laughing at the title, because you know full well that I could probably find something to complain about in any situation, regardless of how perfect it is (winter: too cold, spring: too muddy, summer: too muggy, fall: too many leaves to rake... need I go on??!)...
... But there ARE, indeed, moments where I can also look on the 'fuller half' of life...

Exhibit #1

Notice Benjamin's nice facial 'burns'.  In person, they actually go all the way from his hairline to the lips.  Now, most people would see this as a negative.  He got these 'marks' when he was out making his spring debut on his scooter, got a little wobbly, and had a close encounter with the pavement.  Instead of thinking, "oh great, now we are into the scraped-skin season...," I actually got happy and thought, "Wow, the first skin burn of the spring - definitely a sign that the snow is on its way out for good!!"


Exhibit #2...

... so we were driving in the car a while back...
From the back, Seth says, "Mommy, yesterday I had to turn my card over" (the first step in their discipline action)
Me, "Did you hit anyone?"
Seth, "No!"
Me, "Did you bite anyone?"
Seth, "No!"
Me, "What did you do to turn your card over?"
Seth, "I was talking too much"

... now, if you know my sons in public situations, you know that they do the perfect mime interpretations.  Seth especially is extremely quite when he is around people he doesn't know very well, trying more to sink into the wall than engage in any of the activities.

... so the fact that he was not only talking in school, but talking too much in school brought so much happiness to my heart.  Ah yes, my son, the 'talk-too-mucher"... Love it!! 

4 comments:

Jogusboy said...

Optimism about bruises and talking too much.

I like it!!

Now if only Mo would be optimistic when I talk too much in class!!

4kidsandcrazy said...

That is truly finding the half glass full! Nice burns on the face! And I love it that your son is talking too much! It is amazing how perspective on things changes as a parent isn't it?

Shan said...

I loved both of the stories. I mean not really loved the scrapes, but glad Ben was out on his scooter and Seth was feeling more comfortable in first grade.

Robin Conner said...

I swear Seth and Ethan are twins in a seperate life. They look so much a like and Ethan had the exact thing happen to him at school, and like you, I was actually proud of him for actually making a "wave". He normally is so quiet and behaved, and for him to actually let loose and have fun and actually talk too much made me happy! Come one, be a kid for once! Such cute kiddo's. Poor Ben's face. Can I just say he has grown up so fast! He looks like a little man already! I can't believe how big and old he looks! He is so cute! I'm glad you are getting into "spring mode". hurray, the arctic tundra is leaving!