Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Always go with your gut...

So... this morning was our "welcome back to reality check"... and how many times do I have to learn to go with my first instinct??

... So I usually teach a class on Wednesday mornings at the gym... but I have had subs for the whole vacation time (all SIX weeks of it... which is another post in and of itself...).  I thought we'd be getting back late last night, so I had a sub to cover this class today... or so I thought...

We ended up getting back on Monday, so I debated about calling the sub and telling her I could do the class.  Since my house is still in disaster mode, I thought it would be nice to have an extra day to try to get a handle on everything... so I didn't call.

This morning, I woke up with the thought, "What if she doesn't cover the class and I'm just sitting here at home?"  But she is a really reliable girl, so I thought she would for sure have it covered.  I let the kids sleep, we had a lazy wake up time, and I just kind of meandered around, wondering where to start on my nuclear war zone-buried house...

As time grew closer, I thought, 'I better call, just to make sure'... so I called... and got her voice mail.  I left a message saying that I'm sure she had everything under control, but I was here to do the class if she didn't want to do it after all.  

Time went on, Sarah got in the tubby, I sent Joshy to get in the tubby with her, and the other boys still hung around in their jammies.  About 8:55 (class starts at 9:15), I called the gym, just to make sure she was there... no sight of her.  Still, she lives far out, so she was probably just driving in... 

I had the thought, 'you better get ready and get the kids ready just in case'  dismissed the thought... meandered around more (you can see where this is going, can't you??!).  At 9:05, I get a call from the sub, saying, "I'm in the cities, I didn't agree to take this class!"  (which I have an email confirmation of her stating she will, indeed, take the class... ).  I hang up, and make the motherhood megahorn announcement that everyone is to be in the car in 30 seconds.  Sarah yells something from downstairs, to which I reply, "Just come up and get in the car!!"

... being the obedient child that she is, she did, indeed come up... wrapped up in a towel with 1/2 the bottle of shampoo still lathered all over her hair...

... We rinsed hair, dried bodies, grabbed clothes and shoes and got into the car 1/2 naked to dress on the way...

Yep, re-entry into normal life - never fun... especially when you ignore your gut!

2 comments:

waltandeileen said...

So how did class go?
You need to forward her e-mail back to her.
Love, Mom

Jogusboy said...

OH NO! :0 Had she been subbing for any of the six weeks?? Anyway, sorry for that painful reality check, and I'm happy to her that Sarah was obedient, well a little too obedient!